Sennheiser HD 820 | Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones
Sennheiser HD 820 is Wide-open Sound in a Closed-back, Over-ear, Dynamic Headphone
- The performance of the HD 800S in a closed back headphone
- Unique engineering to manage reflections and preserve a cohesive sound in a closed-back headphone
- 56mm Ring Radiator dynamic transducer system
- Ultra-ergonomic adjustable metal headband with inner damping element
- Luxuriously comfortable microfiber ear and headband padding on key contact points
- Developed in Germany, precision-built at Sennheiser’s state-of-the-art Ireland plant
The New Audiophile Standard
The critics said closed headphones could never sound as immersive as their open-air counterparts. They said physics would never allow it. To that, Sennheiser simply said, “listen."
The HD 820 combines an innovative glass reflector and ring radiator transducer technology for a benchmark listening experience.
Completely Closed. Outrageously Open.
The HD 820 fuses cutting-edge transducer capabilities with exceptional ambient noise attenuation, transcending the perceived limits of closed headphones.
Until now, the audiophile headphone experience could only begin with Sennheiser’s open back design—a design that paved the way for an entire class of precision listening devices. This standard of sound reproduction would go on to surpass Hi-Fi systems exponentially larger in size and cost with the understanding that listeners would not be isolated from their surroundings. The HD 820 sacrifices neither detail nor sound field thanks to its innovative acoustical systems in a closed, dynamic headphone.
While sealed headphones offer the utmost privacy, redirected energy can create resonance and distortion within the ear chamber. The reference-class experience of the HD 820 is achieved with the use of precision concave glass reflectors. Located on the outer plane of each ring radiator transducer, this functional plate reflects energy from the rear of the driver to a specially-tuned absorber system, allowing the waves to mimic the behavior exhibited in open-air models with striking visual flair.
Fellowship of the Ring
An achievement in its own right, the 56mm ring radiator found in the HD 820 leverages the key benefit of a large diaphragm transducer without losing the rigidity that favorably impacts rest and response times.
Instead of a single attachment on the outer circumference of the transducer, both outer and inner edges of the 'ring' are secured to the drive unit. The voice coil vibrates the diaphragm, connected to the V-shaped groove found near the center of the ring. The headphone’s vibration-damping chassis and inert headband insert provide complete stability, resulting in astonishing speed and accuracy throughout the entire frequency spectrum. What you put into the HD 820 is precisely what you will get out of it, too. Each transducer is manufactured, tested, and measured to an extremely tight tolerance to ensure the most dependable performance out of the box. Each HD 820 also includes the frequency response plot unique to that set’s serial number, sparing no resource to help you retrieve the most critical details from every corner of your music collection.
Renowned Engineering and Precision
The deep, almost magical stereo imaging of the HD 820 is the sum of the exhaustive engineering poured into it.
Developed in Germany and crafted at our state-of-the-art Ireland plant, its fit and finish is second only to its sound quality. When combined with the ring radiator’s superlative response, the driver’s angle allows you to locate voices, instruments, and their inherent environments. The sound field expertly balances realism and escapism, transporting you to the heart of your favorite recordings and nowhere else. The luxurious ear padding and progressive articulation points form a satisfying seal, eliminating distractions for added focus during extended listening sessions. For critical listening tasks and private listening alike, the HD 820 prevents unwanted sound from coming in or bleeding out.
- Impedance: 300Ω
- Frequency Response: 6 - 48,000 Hz (-10 dB)
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.02 % (1 kHz 1 Vrms)
- Frequency response (speaker): 6 Hz - 48,000 Hz
- Sound pressure level (SPL): 103 dB (1 V)
- Total harmonic distortion (THD): < 0.02% (1 kHz, 100 dB)
- Transducer principle: Dynamic, Open
- Connection Cables: Silver-plated, oxygen-free copper (OFC), balanced, shielded, para-aramid reinforced
- Weight: 12.7 oz (360g)
- Ear coupling: circumaural
- Magnetic field: 10.5 mT
- Sennheiser 2 Year Warranty
In the Box
- HD 820 Headphones w/ Storage Box
- Connection Cables:
- 11' (3.4m) ODU to 6.3mm 1/4" Stereo
- 11' (3.4m) ODU to 4.4mm Balanced
- USB flash drive (SD-U16L) w/ PDF User Manual and Individual diffuse-field frequency response curve
- User Manual
- Microfiber Cloth