Burson Conductor 3 Performance | Headphone Amp, DAC, and Preamp
Get the Sound you want with the Power you need with the Burson Conductor 3 Performance
- Desktop DAC, Pre-Amp, and Headphone Amplifier
- SABRE ESS9038Q2M DAC and customized USB driver for low latency, bit-perfect playback
- Includes V6 Vivid discrete opamps and "rolling-ready" for tailored sound
- Qualcomm Bluetooth 5.0 receiver with 24bit/96khz playback
- ROON tested and ready
The Burson Conductor 3 Performance is a great DAC/Amp in its own right, with clear, accurate output and huge soundstage. It also happens to be a great choice if you’re familiar with the Burson Conductor line, and want the Conductor 3 sound at a lower price point and with a smaller footprint.
Some DAC/Amps claim to give you the front row experience in exchange for less soundstage. Others promise a 3D soundstage in trade for fewer details. The Conductor 3 Performance simply gives you everything in the recording without sugar-coating the good and sometimes ugly. You can locate a tapping foot on the stage while enjoying that lingering vibration of air after a keystroke.
The Conductor uses the SABRE ESS9038Q2M DAC and XMOS USB receiver chips, the most advanced and expensive in the industry. Its customized USB driver by German manufacturer Thesycon ensures low latency, bit-perfect, accurate DSD512 and 38bit/786khz audio playback.
Featuring Qualcomm's CSR8675 Bluetooth 5.0 receiver at 24bit/96khz playback with aptX HD audio codec, it pushes sound quality to the highest level with easy connectivity.
The Power Supply
The Conductor features the same Max Current Power Supply (MCPS) that has made the Conductor Reference legendary. A technology developed, owned, and used exclusively by Burson, the MCPS raises voltage frequency from 50Hz to 170kHz, pushing noise beyond human hearing while overcoming the disadvantages of both linear and conventional switching power supplies for incredible, dynamic micro-detail.
The Cool Case
Burson aims to tame typical, Class-A amps from heat-fin "monsters" into elegant, desktop-friendly amps using their Cool Case. Made from high-density aluminum, the Cool Case is a unified heat-sink keeping the Conductor cool and optimal. Critics such as 'Headfonics' called it “the new standard” in the audio industry. Having a footprint 30% less than the Conductor Reference and volume similar to a lunch box, it is beautiful but non-obstructive.
Opamp Rolling Fun
The Conductor Performance comes with Burson V6 Vivid discrete opamps, but don’t let that limit your listening experience. The Conductor encourages opamp "rolling" with gold plated DIP8 sockets along its signal path. With hundreds of audio opamps out there, enjoy the flexibility of tailoring your listening experience to your preference.
While the Conductor Reference is like Hugh Jackman in 'Kate and Leopold,' the Conductor Performance is the shredded Wolverine: it’s still him but stripped down! Power and the ability to control will be overwhelming as it energizes every note and in-between spaces bringing accuracy and micro-detail. The C3 Performance is for the perfectionist who works hard but plays even harder.
- Input impedance: 39 K Ω
- Frequency response: ± 1 dB 0 – 58Khz
- THD: <0.0015%
- Output impedance (Headphone Amp): 0.5Ω
- Output impedance (Pre Out / DAC Out): 1Ω / 25Ω
Conductor 3P General Info
- Inputs: USB, Optical Toslink, BT 5.0, microphone
- Outputs: (x1) RCA Pre Amp, (x1) RCA Line Level DAC, (x1) 6.3mm Headphone
- Head Amp: 6W SE PC
- Power Supply: (x3) MCPS
- Weight: 6.6 lb (3 kg)
- Dimensions: 7.9” x 9.8” x 2.4” (200mm x 250mm x 60mm)
- DAC: (x1) Sabre ESS9038Q2M
- Channel Separation: 142 dB @ 1KHz, 135 dB @ 20KHz
- THD+N: 0.0005% @ 1KHz, 0dBFS
- COAX & Toslink / SPDIF: up to 24bit 192K
- Bluetooth Input: Bluetooth 5.0 aptX HD (Qualcomm CSR8675)
Asynchronous Isochronous USB Spec
- Desktop OS: Windows XP, 7, 8, 10 | Mac OSX
- Mobile OS: iOS, Android (OTG support)
- PCM Support: PCM ≤ 768kHz @ 16, 24 or 32bits
- Native DSD: Native DSD 64 / 128 / 256 / 512
- DSD over PCM: DoP64 / DoP128 / DoP256/Dop512
Impedance (Headphone Jack)
- 16 Ω: 6W, SNR 96db, 99% Separation
- 32 Ω: 3W, SNR 98db, 99% Separation
- 100 Ω: 1W, SNR 95db, 99% Separation
- 150 Ω: 660mW, SNR 96db, 99% Separation
- 300 Ω: 330mW, SNR 96db, 99.5% Separation
Conductor 3 Comparison
|Model||Retail Price||Dimensions (mm)||DAC(s)||Analog||Power Supply||Others|
|Conductor 3XR||$2144||255 x 270 x 70||(x2) ESS9038Q2M||7.5Wpc XLR / 3.5Wpc SE||(x5) MCPS||(x2) Analog Inputs|
|Conductor 3R||$1744||255 x 270 x 70||(x2) ESS9038Q2M||7.5Wpc SE||(x5) MCPS||(x2) Analog Inputs|
|Conductor 3XP||$1344||200 X 250 X 60||(x1) ESS9038Q2M||6Wpc XLR / 3Wpc SE||(x3) MCPS|
|Conductor 3P||$1044||200 X 250 X 60||(x1) ESS9038Q2M||4Wpc SE||(x3) MCPS|
In the Box
- Burson Conductor Unit
- IC Opamps for warranty diagnostic use
- USB-C to USB-C Cable
- OTG Adapter
- Remote Control
- Hex key
- 24V Power Supply
- Burson Conductor 3 Performance User Manual