From Chord Electronics
Using technology first seen in the flagship BLU MKII digital/CD transport, the Hugo M Scaler is a standalone upscaling device containing the world’s most advanced digital filter. When used with a dual-BNC-input Chord Electronics DAC, it is capable of redefining digital audio sound quality.
The Hugo M Scaler is a highly advanced standalone upscaler capable of redefining sound quality from digital audio. It uses Rob Watts’ (our Digital Design Consultant’s) unique filter technology, the most advanced in the world, to upscale standard 44.1kHz digital audio up to 705.6kHz (16x CD’s 44.1kHz native resolution), ready to be passed to a suitable DAC; Hugo M Scaler extends its upscaling performance to 768kHz (from 96kHz input data) for our dual-BNC-input DACs: DAVE, Qutest and the new Hugo TT 2.
The Hugo M Scaler brings the unrivalled advantages of our ground-breaking FPGA-based WTA (Watts Transient Alignment) filtering technology to digitally connected audio devices, dramatically improving sound quality. Although optimised for use with selected Chord Electronics DACs (for the maximum 768kHz upscaling/decoding benefit), the Hugo M Scaler can be used with other DACs with suitable inputs, subject to their decoding capability.
The Hugo M Scaler’s compact form factor aligns with the TT (Table Top) series and has been designed to be stackable with other units in the range, including the TToby stereo power amp and the Hugo TT 2, to form a highly advanced yet space-saving system. In line with other models in the Hugo and Hugo TT series, the device features a number of illuminable fascia-mounted spherical controls, governing input selection, output sample rate and video mode for lower latency. The control spheres display data visually including input source and the incoming sample rate, using a polychromatic scale.
When partnered with either of Chord Electronics’ 768kHz-capable dual-BNC-input DACs, the Hugo M Scaler sets an astonishing technical benchmark for digital audio performance at it price point, redefining sound quality from digital audio.
- 2x BNC
- 2x optical
- 1x galvanically isolated USB Type-B compatible with DSD and PCM data (up to DSD 256); with DSD upsampled to PCM
- 1x optical
- 1x S/PDIF
- 1x galvanically isolated dual BNC (enables upscaling to the maximum resolution (768kHz from 96kHz data)
- The most advanced digital filter in the world
- Adjustable sample rate output (with pass-thru mode)
- Video mode (for lower latency)
- Auto video and source selection
- ‘DX’ controls for future product
- Designed, engineered and entirely made in the UK
- Precision-milled chassis, crafted from aircraft-grade aluminum
- FPGA: Xilinx XC7A200T
- Filter tap length: 1,015,808 WTA taps
- Dimensions: 235 x 40.5 x 236mm (WxHxD)
In the Box
- Quickstart guide
- Safety instructions
- 15V 4A Switching barrel type power supply
- IR remote control
- Type-A USB to Type-B USB cable
- 2x BNC to BNC cables
- Optical cable
- 2x AAA batteries